How old would you be, if you had no idea how old you really were?

Friday, December 8, 2006

Chipotle Corn Soup

Aieeee! This is a good one. This soup was my supper tonight, along with the last of a loaf of the No-Knead Bread. Again an adaptation. I started with a recipe that looked really good, but it called for canned creamed corn. I didn't have any canned creamed corn and didn't want to drive 30 miles down the mountain, in the dark, dodging elk, to my not-so-nearby Safeway, so I improvised. I had plenty of frozen corn, and integrated my own white sauce. Try this one.

As always you may want to make your own adjustments. I like it hot so I use a whole chipotle chile (canned), but recommend starting with a half if you prefer something a bit milder. Shouldn't be hard to multiply the recipe if you've many mouths to feed, but don't get carried away with the chipotles until you know what you are doing. For two generous servings you need:
  • 1 T flour
  • 1 T unsalted butter
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 T olive oil
  • 1/2 chipolte chile, minced
  • 1 C milk
  • 2 C frozen corn
  • 2 C low sodium vegetable broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Pepper to taste
I start by making a white sauce for thickening the soup. Melt the butter in a small saute pan and then whisk in the flour. Heat the mixture gently for a few minutes until it just barely begins to darken. Watch it carefully, when it starts to brown it can go quickly. Next gradually whisk in the milk until you have a nice smooth sauce. Set this aside and keep it warm.

In a 2 quart sauce pan saute the onions in the oil and butter for about 10 minutes, until transluscent. Add the chile, and heat for a couple more minutes. Next stir in your white sauce. Add the vegetable broth, the corn, and the bay leaf. Season with Pepper. Simmer for about 15 minutes, rescue the bay leaf and serve. Two generous servings. About 350 mg sodium per serving.

No comments: